Wednesday, September 7, 2011

We Love Homeschooling!

School is back in session here. We are now into our second week and thoroughly enjoying it. Luke says he likes being in First Grade. We are actually going through our lessons a bit faster than expected, which is always good. We are having some fun time doing projects for Nature, Science, History and crafts.

Today we tried to make butter, but the kids got tired of shaking the cream. So, instead we made PeanutButter Balls(we are doing 1 day of week of cooking with our theme letter). We also experimented with solids, liquids and gases today for Science. We are memorizing a poem and the parts of speech for grammar. Luke is reviewing addition strategies in Math. In Writing we did some dictation, narration and learned about proper nouns. In Literature we read two different versions of Little Red Riding Hood and Pretty Salma(the African version).

Today we had a heavy schedule as we took off Monday to work outside(Brian was home)we only did Reading, and yesterday Luke slept most of the day as he wasn't feeling well and we only did Reading, Grammar, and Writing. It was our first ever sick day! Thankfully he was feeling better today but we had lots of ground to make up- we did 2 days of Writing, Grammar and Math lessons along with other subjects. Tomorrow our day should be lighter and hopefully we can finish on time- I hope!

My only complaint is that I don't have my schedules exactly how I want them. I have Luke's Lit, Music/Art Appreciation and Science in separate binders, which is a huge pain. I think need them all together organized by the month but haven't reorganized them yet. I planned far more for Lily than she is interested in but it is good to have different ideas for when she is interested. I do plan on starting formal school with her next year but this year we are keeping it pretty low key. I have a few goals that we are working on slowly but for the most part I want to keep it fun.

I would like more time for circle time and I prefer it to be first but it hasn't happened that way as of yet. I love circle time and the kids do as well but with cleaning, cooking and everything else we have to do time is precious.

Speaking of time, I'm already tweaking my schedule. I really do need to be up before 6am to get it all done. Things go smoother if I can start on chores by 6:30am and I need my time for prayer and such before getting going in the morning. That is my quiet time. Brian and I don't stay up after the kids, unless very rarely, so that time is precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment