Saturday, October 30, 2010

Handicrafts: Felt Animals

We have recently began learning how to sew. I had wanted to start some handicrafts with the kids and since I have a very basic knowledge of sewing I thought we would start there. So, last week we made small felt pouches in conjunction with our History lesson about the Wampanoags. I considered actual leather to be more authentic but they are 6 and 3- so I think felt worked just fine!

Luke declared that 'threading' was easy and fun so I decided to do something a bit more challenging this week. I had seen some fancy felt animals on-line forever ago so thought we would attempt a very rudimentary version to practice our sewing.

This is Luke's owl. I used a drawing book he had to get an idea for a basic pattern. Luke is absolutely loving 'threading' even though he did also say that it was hard.

Lily had some fun as well but had destroyed her snake before it was finished! Her patience is quite like her mother's and her motor-skills are not quite ready for something so detailed. I am working on finding some projects that are more on her level.

I am enjoying working on projects with them as well. I am not a terribly crafty person so I am hoping to build my own skills along with them. It is very encouraging as well to hear Luke go on and on about what a great 'threader' I am. Thankfully my children are easily impressed!

Up next week we will be starting on a quilt for each of them. I am trying to decide between two different methods, perhaps I will use some of both. Any thoughts or opinions?

Pre-School Paintings Quilt

Coloring Pages Quilt

No comments:

Post a Comment