Johnny Cakes
1 c. cornmeal(I used corn flour)
1 c. milk(I used 1/2 water-1/2 coconut milk)
1 egg
1/2 tsp. salt
1 t honey
Preheat griddle. Mix together egg and milk. Add dry ingredients and mix well. The batter will be thin and crepe-like. These cook very fast, so keep an eye on them. We topped ours with fruit spread. They were delicious- despite the picture- I sprinkled cinnamon on some while cooking and they were particularly good.
We made Johnny cakes to go along with our study. However, I explained that we had it quite easy as our corn was pre-ground. We talked about how the Wampanoags had to dry and grind their own corn( I did not go into the methods of soaking the corn that are used by traditional peoples- please no one kick me out of the Traditional Foodies club). We of course had big fun making the cakes, aside from one slight mixer incident. I am happy to say we all still have our fingers though! Please excuse the photo quality, they were really delicious. Luke wanted to be cameraman!
No comments:
Post a Comment