Monday, February 21, 2011

A Few Updates with Schooling

Things have been humming along with school and as the year has went we have simplified. I have adjusted my side list to reflect what we are using now. I am trying to just focus on the 3 Rs, I have completely dropped history, except for what comes up naturally and Bible history.

On Math we are actually on a Right Start break. I was pushing him a bit hard in that area and want to ease up a bit- I had planned on finishing the program at Christmas and at our current rate we would finish by the end of this year, plus there are some facts I want him to have down better and just approach things in different ways. I have Singapore Math's Challenging Word Problems 1 on the way and Math Mammoth as well for some extra practice.

We have a new Music curriculum coming as well, the kids absolutely adore anything related to music so when I found a program that combined fingerplays and religious hymns, in the cycle of the liturgical year I knew it would be a huge hit, I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. We have started our art book- Drawing with Children finally and it seems to be enjoyed so far, he just loves drawing so I hope that continues.

On Science we have been more loose with Nature Study as of late. We did participate in the Great Backyard Bird Count this weekend- although we didn't have much luck counting birds. This coming week we are participating in a internet class on Rockets(by Supercharged Science) and will be watching a live rocket blast and making our own little rocket as well. I bought a book titled Creepy Crawlies and the Scientific Method, that I hope will be useful as well. Of course we will hopefully be learning lots about gardening as well. My hope and plan is to just keep it interest driven at this point.

I also have finally updated my read-aloud list as well and I think added all the major books we have read, I am not going to try and list every single little book though. Currently we are reading The Water Babies, to be honest it is a bit of a difficult read- especially after finishing The Sword in the Tree in an evening. However, I am finding it enjoyable and Luke keeps asking for more. I figure it is good practice with hearing classical language as well.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, what a great science lesson the Rocket lesson was by Supercharged Science. The paper rocket and video were great! We made the rocket and it works really well. Thank you for sharing this. Looks like a wonderful science program for sure!

    ReplyDelete