Saturday, February 19, 2011

Real Strength

Last week was not a good week. I was short on patience and it seemed the harder I tried the worse things went. I couldn't seem to pull it together for anything. Well, exteriorly things were fine, we did our schooling, meals were cooked and the house was clean but my mothering was, in a word, horrid. I tried to start new every day. I listened to myself and cringed. I could think of my actions and thoughts and knew that they were not helpful or good. Yet, I couldn't seem to get out of that pattern of behavior. Of course at the same time I am seeing some behaviors from the children that were wholly unacceptable and finding that I am fighting myself thinking the only way to resolve this is to become tougher. Obviously those two ideas don't mesh and I found myself only increasing my modelling of those very behaviors I was trying to stop. Children are very often our mirrors and sadly mine were screaming and speaking nasty and mean words all too much.


As happens whenever things become desperate I came to the point of giving up, in the sense that knowing I couldn't do it on my own anymore. I had to stop trying, it wasn't in me. So, I gave it up. I gave it up to God. I realized that no, I couldn't do it but I could do anything through Jesus. If Jesus can conquer death than helping me to be a good Mother, must be but a trifle task. Going about my day with that in mind and my faith in place has made all the difference. I think God knew that I needed that reminder, prayers for faith can be answered in many ways.

So, this week has been much smoother. I have increased my expectations, for the kids, and for myself. Whatever I expect for them I should expect that much and more for myself. I am so thankful to God for that reminder and the renewed vigor to try and be a better mother.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your title, "Real Strength". Most definitely our real strength comes from God. When we think we can get through this world and overcome all the hurdles and mountains of being a Mommy..well, we definitely tumble and take a nose dive (at least I do!!). I admire and very much appreciate your true honesty of being a mom. I know exactly where you are coming from! I will pray for you and just think..warm sunny days are soon upon us! Hope you've had a great day thus far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, prayers are always appreciated. I am glad my honesty was well received. I wish every day was wonderful and happy and smiley but it isn't. All I can do is to keep praying and keep trying!

    I am anxiously awaiting the sunny days as well, having nice weather sure cannot hurt things!

    ReplyDelete