I don't know if I am cut out for this blogging business. I tend to be all over the place with my thoughts and interests. I feel like we are getting in a new groove with life and homeschooling. Although, the nasty weather has made it hard to have good outside time.
Luke is making good progress with his schooling. We have dialed back our outside commitments and I am trying to figure out how much to do, without overwhelming me but giving them some fun things to do. We cut back some on our read-alouds while taking a school break but have been enjoying some good books again. We read Mrs. Piggle Wiggle last week and The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe this week. We are also reading The Bobsey Twins for fun.
I have ordered some new material for us as well. We have a music education program coming that mixes Liturgical music with fingerplays and other songs as much as love music I am so excited to start this. I have wanted to do some religious music for awhile but wasn't sure where to start with them.
For Science I have waffled back and forth on various things. We still do Nature Study when we can and will continue that. I am back to looking that The Well-Trained Mind recommendations for science, gently guiding and keeping it interest led. I looked at every Science curriculum for his age I could find and honestly wasn't thrilled with any of them. So, I am letting him pick a subject of interest, right now it is Dinosaurs, then we are reading and watching documentaries and observing if we can. I am trying to do more science experiments as well. Brian is very science orientated, the problem is bringing that down to his level and making it more a part of our lives.
I have just realized that I have to be more proactive about making it a part of our day and life. There is no magic cure or curriculum, for how I want to do things I just have to do it. I am hoping that we can raise some kind of creature this spring, perhaps butterflies or tadpoles. I am introducing the idea of the scientific method and hope that we can do some experiments as well, focusing on the method and not just having fun, although I hope we have plenty. This spring and summer should be a great time to learn about plants through the, hopefully successful garden. Hopefully I can learn more to ensure a better outcome and the kids can learn along as well.
I am trying to do more art as well and have been reading Drawing with Children and hope to start the lessons in the next few weeks. Luke just loves drawing and I would like to give him the tools(skills) to do it well.
That is what we are doing schoolwise. Home-wise I am really enjoying Motivated Moms. I feel like that I could have someone stop by any moment and be fairly prepared for company. I have had lots of company this month and no desire to spend days and weeks cleaning. Now, not to say things are perfect but well enough, considering I have plenty of other obligations and the desire for some free time.
Family life has been well, although Brian is just now having his first day off since New Years. Literally every day since then he has been working, every Saturday and Sunday. We are both getting rather tired of it, however we are grateful that he is so busy, better than the alternative. The kids and I have been in our own schedule though and making it through. My patience has been short and there have been times, especially on the weekend, with too much tv. When it comes weekend time and Brian is working and it is nasty outside, I am just tired of being on call. Hopefully, the weather improves at least though, it is looking promising right now anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment