Saturday, May 7, 2011

Ahh, Motherhoood....

It occurs to me again and again how we all have the same struggles. So often when I open up about difficulties I find that others have went through the same thing. Why is it we don't talk about it?, I don't know. There seems to be this odd dichotomy within mothers. Either you're the type where everything is perfect or you do nothing but complain about your children.

I hate to be one to look at the negative. I don't want to complain about my children and act as if they are a horrible burden, I see no purpose in that. But man, some days(or weeks or months) are hard. Motherhood is not for the faint of heart. We are responsible for so much and some days our patience runs thin. Some days the compassion and empathy is gone. Some days you just want quiet. Some days you just want to ignore it all and hope for the best. Some days you wish they could fend for themselves.

Oh, the days when you cannot sleep or the baby keeps you awake. You're pulled out of the bed by the kiddos and try to cobble together something to eat, anything. You turn to that ol' reliable babysitter , the tv, and hope for a little bit of zoning out while you try to wake up. The day fumbles along with much yelling and complaining, lots of fighting and bickering, everything a battle. You somehow make it to lunch and count down the minutes to quiet time when you can collapse into a heap. All the while the house falls more and more apart and you just don't care anymore, you want to get some sleep!

Then there are those days when you really think you have it together. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are all promptly served. The children answer ever command quickly and happily. They play together like angels and the house starts and ends the day in perfectly clean condition effortlessly.

If only every day was like that. We need humility too though and there has been plenty of that around here lately!

No comments:

Post a Comment