Friday, May 13, 2011

Saving on Gas: Update #1

I just had to fill up for the first time after starting my new gas saving strategies. Now, I was anxious about it as Brian had done most of the driving for this tank, not using any kind of restraint. Of course when one is rushing to the ER, increasing fuel efficiency is the last thing on your mind. I have had considerable more driving this past week than usual as well, about 3x more, due to various factors.

Now, my last tank I got about 18.8 mpg, which sadly, is average. I do sometimes get more, but more often than not it seems, that is what I get. Today my mpg was.... drumroll..... 22.8 the highest I have ever got! I couldn't believe it and as I said that was only with conservations measures on maybe half the tank. I told Brian my new goal is 25 mpg, let's see what the next tank brings! Information about my van says that city driving is 16-18 mpg, while highway should be 23-25. I always have a combination of driving though and I would be thrilled to get highway mileage on my mixed mileage trips.

This is with basic measures, mostly slowing down on the four lane from 65-70 mph to 55 mph, watching my braking and acceleration. I haven't even removed the roof rack yet which is also supposed to increase mileage.

Now, if I am able to up my mileage to 24.8 mpg that would be 6 mpg increase, which for a whole tank of 17 gals would be an extra 102 miles. 102 miles is equivalent to around 2 trips to AND from town! That is an average week of driving for free!

As an added bonus to saving money I have also been more attune to my driving and no rushing around. Less stress and anxiety from rushing. Now, if I could just get Brian to try the same measures we could really do some saving!

No comments:

Post a Comment