Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Resolutions and Goals

I made some lofty goals this year for myself and my family. I think realistic but lofty but I am a natural optimist.

1)Family time- We started the holidays watching more tv than desired. Ava had a cough for a bit and then Brian and I felt under the weather, so we didn't get outside much. However, since last week it has been cut back again, thank goodness. We have watched some good kid movies like Heidi and National Velvet and in the evening Brian and I have been watching a short (13-14 min) episodes about an Abbey in Australia. We have also been listening to various apologetics videos- we are really enjoying Youtube.

Right now we are all reading The Indian in the Cupboard and are totally enthralled with the story. We should finish it today or tomorrow and we are planning a family movie night with the movie based on the book.

As I said earlier unfortunately we haven't been outside much due to being under the weather and just business of the holidays. We did make it back out yesterday though and hopefully can start back into our routine.

I still don't have an exact plan for devotions and prayers but we have added more to our day. I have just been taking time that we usually pray and adding more to that. We recently added a decade of the rosary with nighttime prayers as well. That has been great as we have got to introduce all kinds of things; how we sometimes ask others to pray for us, those on earth and in heaven. We have also talked about the mysteries and meditating. We told the kids about how when we pray we were thinking about Jesus and how he rose from the dead. Luke very seriously said, "Yes, I am thinking about it right now." Then last night we talked about the ascension and he added, "Because you cannot kill God."

There has been a lot more thanksgiving in our day and more of a focus on relying on God. So while we haven't added a ton what we have added has been so valuable.

2)Personal Devotions- I did start a personal devotion of morning and evening prayers, along with doing our bible readings and prayers from daily Mass. I have also started a plan to read the Bible and Catechism this year. I really like how it frames my day. I have felt a lot of peace from God and a real desire to draw inward. It has all been a great blessing and a wonderful addition to family life for all of us.

3) Managing the house- I am keeping up with the Motivating Moms fairly well. However, I have also been very huge with decluttering and simplifying, always on the quest to reduce what I need to do and have to take care of around here. So, the house was a bit upside down for a few days because of that. Currently it is in good order but I have some more plans that might derail things for a bit, trying not to be overzealous though!

No comments:

Post a Comment